10th Anniversary AstroFest
The Conference is free but registration is essential.
Celebrating Australian Achievements in Astronomy
The Central West of NSW boasts some of the darkest skies in Australia, and as such is a wonderful place to appreciate the wonders of the night sky. In an effort to foster, encourage and promote astronomy in the region, the Central West Astronomical Society is holding its annual festival of astronomy, or AstroFest, this July. The festival endeavours to bring to the people of the Central West world renowned astronomers, both professional and amateur, so they may share their enthusiasm and love of the heavens.
The CWAS AstroFest will incorporate a one day conference and a programme of associated events. The conference will be held in the Coventry Room of Parkes Shire Council's Library and Cultural Centre on Saturday, 19 July 2014. In a series of lectures, guest speakers will provide fascinating insights into various aspects of modern astronomy. On Sunday, 20 July, events will move to the CSIRO Parkes Observatory Visitors Centre with a programme of daytime astronomy and talks.
On Saturday night, 19 July, the conference dinner will be held at the Comfort Inn Parkes International Hotel.
Click here for Accommodation Information in Parkes.
The Associated Events:
- An astrophotography competition will be open to all amateur astronomers in Australia. An exhibition of the best photographs will be on display at the Parkes Observatory Visitors Centre from Sunday, 20 July, for the entire year. Dr David Malin, the world-renowned astrophotographer, will judge the entries. The "David Malin Awards" will be presented at a special ceremony held during the conference dinner on Saturday, 19 July. Following the AstroFest, the exhibition will tour to various venues across Australia beginning with Sydney Observatory in August. Canon Australia is supporting the competition with significant prizes.
- From 10:00AM on the Sunday morning, 20 July, the "David Malin Awards" exhibition will be officially opened at the CSIRO Parkes Observatory's Visitors Centre.
- To commemorate the Apollo 11 45th anniversary, a talk by John Sarkissian, titled; "The Truth Behind The DISH", will be given at 11:00AM on Sunday morning, 20 July, in the Visitors Centre lecture theatre.
- Throughout the day on, Sunday 20 July, daytime astronomy viewings will be conducted on the lawns of the Visitors Centre by members of the CWAS. Telescopes will be setup in the grounds of the Visitors Centre, for viewing the bright stars, planets, the Sun and the Moon during daylight (weather permitting).
- Breakfast and lunch will be available at the dish cafe.
The Conference Programme: Saturday, 19th July, 2014
Venue: The Coventry Room of Parkes Shire Council's Library and Cultural Centre - Find map here
|12:30-13:30|| Lunch - Provided for all registrants|
|15:30-16:30|| Civic Reception: Coventry Room at Parkes Shire Library and Cultural Centre. Hosted by Mayor, Cr Ken Keith |
The Conference Programme: Sunday, 20th July, 2014
Venue: The Parkes Observatory Visitors Centre
|From 09:00|| Daytime astronomy by the CWAS members - all day (weather permitting).|
So come along and enjoy the hospitality of the Central West and share an unforgettable astronomical experience. See you there.
The 2014 CWAS AstroFest is proudly supported by
For all enquiries please email the AstroFest Organising Committee
Back to the CWAS Home Page